What is Google Translate?

Google's free online language translation service instantly translate text and web pages.

Please note that this is a free service provided by Google and that Bolton & District Citizens Advice Bureau can not be held responsiable for the content shown when text has been transalted.

Benefits & Tax Credits FAQ's

What are tax credits & how can I get them?

This information applies to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit are benefits which are paid by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Most other benefits are dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Child Tax Credit is available to people responsible for a child or young person, who have income below a certain amount. The amount you get will depend on how many children you have, and whether they have any disabilities. Child Tax Credit is available whether or not you are in work and is paid to the main carer in a household, usually straight into a nominated bank account.

Working Tax Credit is a payment to top up earnings of people working on low incomes, including those that do not have children. Extra amounts are payable if you have a disability, if you work 30 hours or more a week, and where you have childcare costs. Working Tax Credit is paid directly into a nominated bank account. Payments made for childcare costs are paid direct to the main carer.

Tax credits are usually paid for a year, from April to April. If you’re making a new claim for tax credits, your payments will usually run from the date of your claim to the end of the tax year. For example, if you make a claim on 10 November 2013, your payments will be worked out from that date until 5 April 2014.

Tell us how we're doing

Site content